Caribbean Coconut Ice
|2 cups milk|
|3 cups shredded coconut|
|1 cup sugar|
|pinch of cream of tartar|
|1 egg yolk beaten|
|a few drops of almond extract|
This is a wonderful dessert that is served all over the Caribbean. Super sweet and refreshing.
- In a small sauce pan scald the milk.
- Place 2 cups coconut in a wire mesh sieve.
- Pour hot milk over coconut while holding the sieve over a large bowl to catch the liquid.
- Using a wooden spoon squeeze ll of the milk our of the coconut.
- In a large sauce pan, combine the coconut milk, sugar and cream of tartar.
- Cook over low heat stirring constantly, until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the pan from heat and add beaten egg yolk.
- Stir in remaining coconut and add 2 or 3 drops of almond extract. Taste and add more if desired.
- Pour into 2 pie pans or a Pyrex dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer for about 4 hours.
- Remove from freezer and break apart with a fork.
- Serve at once.