Caribbean Plantain Au gratin
|4 ripe plantains|
|4 tbs of canola oil|
|2 tbs butter|
|2 tsp flour|
|1 cup milk|
|1 cup whipping cream|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1/4 lb of grated Swiss cheese|
This is a unique way to serve plantains. Ripe plantains are used which are a great deal sweeter. Ripe plantains are yellow with brown streaks as apposed to totally green.
- Peel the plantains and cut into slices lengthwise.
- Fry the plantains in the oil at low heat, until brown.
- Melt the butter in the microwave.
- Prepare a white sauce with the melted butter, flour, milk, whipping cream, salt and pepper.
- Whisk ll the ingredients forming sauce.
- Layer the fried plantains and the white sauce in a baking dish.
- Pour the white sauce over and sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes.