Caribbean Plantain Au gratin
- 4 ripe plantains
- 4 tbs of canola oil
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 lb of grated Swiss cheese
This is a unique way to serve plantains. Ripe plantains are used which are a great deal sweeter. Ripe plantains are yellow with brown streaks as apposed to totally green.
- Peel the plantains and cut into slices lengthwise.
- Fry the plantains in the oil at low heat, until brown.
- Melt the butter in the microwave.
- Prepare a white sauce with the melted butter, flour, milk, whipping cream, salt and pepper.
- Whisk ll the ingredients forming sauce.
- Layer the fried plantains and the white sauce in a baking dish.
- Pour the white sauce over and sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes.