Guyana Cook Up Rice
- 3 cups long grained rice
- 1 lb of pig tail or salt beef, cut up
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup gungo or black eyed peas, or any favorite type of beans.
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, whole. You may add another if you like it spicy.
This is a savory rice dish from Guyana. It is flavored with onions, garlic thyme, coconut milk and pig tails. It is absolutely delicious.
- Boil the pig tails or salt beef until most of the salt has been removed.
- Drain water and in the same pan along with the meat add the onion, tomatoes, thyme, rice, coconut milk, beans, salt, pepper and rice.
- Cook covered for about 30 minutes using medium low heat until all liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.