Guyana Ham Scalloped Yams
|1/4 lb of ham, cut into cubes|
|4 medium yams|
|2 tbs butter|
|1 cup whipping cream|
|2 tbs onion minced|
|1 cup bread crumbs|
|1 cup grated cheese of your choice|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
This is a recipe from Guyana. It is important to note that a yam is not a sweet potato. Yams are almost white or pale yellow in color. You can find yams at many Latin American or Caribbean markets. In a pinch, you can substitute sweet potatoes.
- Peel the yams and cut into thin rounds, reserve some for the top layer.
- Melt the butter in the micro wave.
- Place half the yams in a buttered baking dish, cover with half of the butter..
- Sprinkle half of the bread crumbs and onions, ham, salt and pepper.
- Repeat the process and continue the layers
- Top the dish with the reserved yam, and brush with melted butter
- Pour in the whipping cream and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes or until tender and brown.