Homemade Jamaican Ginger Beer
- 3/4 cup grated ginger root
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 12 cups water
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups sugar
Ginger beer is a staple in Caribbean living. Its not beer at all, but we like to call it a kicked up ginger ale.
- In a large bowl, combine and stir grated ginger root, lime juice, and cream of tartar.
- In a large pot, bring 12 cups of water to a boil.
- Pour the hot water over the ginger mixture and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine yeast, 1/4 cup Luke warm water and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Stir to make a smooth paste.
- When the ginger mixture is Luke warm, add the yeast mixture and stir well.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate for 3 to 5 days.
- Pour the ginger mixture through a strainer into a large bowl.
- Add remaining sugar and stir well to dissolve.
- Serve over ice.