Hot Spiced Beets
- 4 cups beets, sliced and cooked
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tbs flour
- 2 tbs dark brown sugar
- 3 tbs vinegar
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
Beets brighten meals with their incredible savory sweetness. Younger beets are somewhat sweeter, and you may find beets in a variety of colors at your local farmers markets. This recipe combines beets with the spicy flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and brown sugar.
- Place beets in a greased casserole dish.
- In a sauce pan melt butter and blend in flour and sugar.
- Add the vinegar and boiling water and cook stirring constantly until bubbly.
- Add remaining ingredients and pour over beets.
- Cover casserole dish and bake beets in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.