Hot Spiced Beets
|4 cups beets, sliced and cooked|
|2 tbs butter|
|1 tbs flour|
|2 tbs dark brown sugar|
|3 tbs vinegar|
|1/4 cup boiling water|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|1/4 tsp paprika|
|1/4 tsp ground cinnamon|
|1/8 tsp ground nutmeg|
|1/8 tsp ground cloves|
Beets brighten meals with their incredible savory sweetness. Younger beets are somewhat sweeter, and you may find beets in a variety of colors at your local farmers markets. This recipe combines beets with the spicy flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and brown sugar.
- Place beets in a greased casserole dish.
- In a sauce pan melt butter and blend in flour and sugar.
- Add the vinegar and boiling water and cook stirring constantly until bubbly.
- Add remaining ingredients and pour over beets.
- Cover casserole dish and bake beets in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.