Jamaican Curry Chicken with Potatoes
|1 whole fryer of broiler chicken, cut up, about 3 lbs|
|6 tbs curry powder|
|2 tbs canola oil|
|2 cups water|
|4 cloves garlic|
|2 scotch bonnet or Habanero peppers|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
This is an authentic preparation for Jamacian curry chicken. It shares many of the flavors found in east India.
- Wash the chicken in lemon or lime juice.
- Chop the chicken into small pieces.
- Chop the onion, scallion and garlic into small dice.
- Rub all the ingredients, except for the potatoes into the chicken and allow to marinate
- refrigerated for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator, allow to sit on the counter for 1/2 hour before frying.
- Cut the potatoes into cubes.
- Fry the chicken for turning frequently for about 10 minutes until browned.
- Add the potatoes and water to the pan.
- Cover and simmer until the sauce has thickened. About 1 hour.
- Serve with rice and peas.