|1 lb of penne pasta|
|4 asparagus spears, trimmed|
|1 small head of broccoli, stemmed and cut into florets|
|1 small carrot, peeled|
|4 large button mushrooms|
|1 small zucchini, ends trimmed|
|1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|1 cup onions, chopped|
|1/4 cup green peas, cooked|
|1/2 cup fresh basil|
|1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped|
|1 cup water or vegetable stock|
|1/4 cup dry white wine|
|3 cups marinara sauce, bottled or homemade|
|1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
This is a classic Italian vegetarian comfort food. It’s chocked full of vegetables. Asparagus, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, peas, and onions. This is great dish to serve at a buffet.
- Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus.
- Cut the asparagus, broccoli florets, carrot, mushrooms and zucchini int bite-sized pieces and blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan and saute onions for abut 3 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Add blanched vegetables and saute for 1 minute.
- Add peas, basil, parsley, water or vegetable stock, wine and marinara sauce.
- Bring to a bowl, reduce heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add pasta to a platter and pour primavera sauce over.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over.