- 1 lb of penne pasta
- 4 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 small head of broccoli, stemmed and cut into florets
- 1 small carrot, peeled
- 4 large button mushrooms
- 1 small zucchini, ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup green peas, cooked
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups marinara sauce, bottled or homemade
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
This is a classic Italian vegetarian comfort food. It’s chocked full of vegetables. Asparagus, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, peas, and onions. This is great dish to serve at a buffet.
- Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus.
- Cut the asparagus, broccoli florets, carrot, mushrooms and zucchini int bite-sized pieces and blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan and saute onions for abut 3 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Add blanched vegetables and saute for 1 minute.
- Add peas, basil, parsley, water or vegetable stock, wine and marinara sauce.
- Bring to a bowl, reduce heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add pasta to a platter and pour primavera sauce over.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over.