Peas 10 Ways
|4 cups of peas, frozen|
|2 tsp sugar|
|3 tsp kosher salt|
|1 scallion, cut into rounds|
|2 tbs butter|
|fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 cup cream|
Peas are delicious especially when you can get them fresh in the spring and early fall. Here is a base recipe for peas in cream. We are also providing below some additional variations.
- Cook peas with sugar, salt, scallion and enough water to cover, using medium heat. About 10 minutes. Water should almost evaporate.
- Add butter and hold over low heat to melt.
- Season with black pepper and add the cream, mixing well.
- Remove heat right away and serve.
Here are some variations you can use with the base recipe:
- With mint: Cook 2 or 3 mint leaves with the peas.
- With mint jelly: Omit the sugar and add 3 to 4 tbs of mint jelly to peas with butter. Hold over heat to melt then add pepper and cream and heat until warm.
- With roasted red peppers: Add 1//4 cup chopped red peppers to peas just before adding cream.
- With sour cream and chives: Add 3 tbs chopped chives to peas before buttering. Then add 1 cup of sour cream instead of cream and heat to warm. Do not cook.
- With potatoes: Cook 12 small new potatoes, peeled and cooked whole until tender. Mix with the peas before adding cream.
- With mushrooms: Saute 1 cup of sliced mushrooms in 1 tbs of butter. Mix with peas before adding cream.
- With onions: Cook 1 cup sliced scallions until just tender. Add to peas before buttering.
- With carrots: Cook 1 and 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots until just tender. Add to peas before buttering.
- With celery: Cook 1/4 cup chopped celery in water until tender. Add to peas just before buttering.
- With bacon: Sprinkle 1/2 cup finely crumbled cooked bacon over top of peas before serving.
- With ham: Cut ham into small chunks or thin strips and mix with peas just before serving.