- 2 lbs of round steak, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 2 cups onions, rough chopped
- 3 tomato, rough chopped
- 1 can beef stock
- 1/2 lb of button mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 3 bell peppers cut into squares (1 green,1 red, 1 yellow)
- 1/4 cup water
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
You can find pepper steak at most any Chinese restaurant. It is a little known fact the pepper steak is not Chinese at all but a contrived dish designed to please American tastes. This is kicked up version that uses three colors of bell peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Cut meat across grain into 1/4 inch strips. (the meat will be easier to slice if you place it in freezer 30 minutes prior to slicing.
- In a large saute pan or wok using high heat, brown the meat quickly in canola oil.
- Lower heat, add onions and stock and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms and bell pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for several minutes more.
- Meanwhile blend together the cornstarch and water and stir in the mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook until sauce has thickened.
- Serve with rice.