Puerto Rican Surullitos De Maiz (cornmeal sticks)
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 2 packs Sazon seasoning (available at Latin markets)
- 1 and 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- canola oil for frying
These are delicious corn sticks flavored with garlic powder, onion powder, sazon and cheddar cheese.
- Pour water, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, sazon into a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, add cornmeal slowly, stir to avoid creating lumps. keep stirring and continue to cook over low heat.
- Remove from heat, add the cheese and blend well.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Once cool, put a tsp of the mixture in the palm of your hands. Place in a flat surface and roll into long sticks.
- Place corn sticks on a tray, cover with wax paper and put in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer of deep sauce pan to 360 degrees.
- Cut corn sticks so they will fit into your frying vessel, and fry until they are golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.