Southern Fried Okra
|2 lbs okra (7 cups) cut into 1/2 inch rounds|
|2 cups stone ground corn meal|
|2 large eggs beaten|
|3 tbs flour|
|3/4 cup milk|
|4 cups peanut or canola oil|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
- Slice the okra and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the corn meal and flour.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ad the milk to the cornmeal mixture and make a smooth batter.
- Mean while heat the oil in a large sauce pan or deep fryer to 360 degrees.
- Add the okra to the batter mixture.
- When oil reaches proper temperature, fry okra in batches. When adding okra to oil allow some of the batter to drip off.
- Remove okra from oil when golden and crispy. About 5 minutes.