Shrimp Pot Pie
- 1 lb of medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 tbs butter
- 3 tbs flour
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 tsp paprika
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and cut into thin rounds
- 1/2 cup baby onions or shallots, peeled
- 1 box frozen puff pastry
This is a twist on traditional pot pie that uses puff pastry as a crust. Puff pastry is readily available in the frozen foods section of your grocery store. Shrimp along with carrots and peas are married with a savory creamy sauce.
- Place the frozen puff pastry in the refrigerator several hours before starting to prepare this recipe.
- Divide the shrimp into 4 shallow 8 oz oven proof ramekins or gratin dishes.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over medium high heat.
- Add the flour and cook, whisking until bubbly, about 1 minute.
- Add the cream and sherry and continue to whisk until smooth.
- Add the carrots, onions and peas and cook for another 2 minutes.
- If sauce gets too thick, add a little more milk.
- Season with salt, pepper and paprika to taste.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut to the approximate size of the ramekins so it will lay over the side about 1/4 inch.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake in a 425 degree oven for about 15 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.