Spicy Hush Puppies
|2 cups of yellow corn meal|
|1 cup of flour, sifted|
|1 egg beaten|
|1/2 tsp baking soda|
|2 cups milk|
|1 cup water|
|2 tbs minced onion|
|1 jalapeno pepper chopped, seeds and all|
|canola oil for frying|
- In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the minced onion and jalapeno, and mix again.
- Add the wet ingredients and beaten egg and combine to form a smooth batter.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry in a large sauce pan or deep fryer. 375 degrees.
- Using 2 spoons dipped first in cold oil, pick up a tbs full of batter and push off of the spoon into oil. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Fry for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown. If hush puppies brown to quickly reduce the heat.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.