Spicy Hush Puppies
- 2 cups of yellow corn meal
- 1 cup of flour, sifted
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbs minced onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped, seeds and all
- canola oil for frying
- In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the minced onion and jalapeno, and mix again.
- Add the wet ingredients and beaten egg and combine to form a smooth batter.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry in a large sauce pan or deep fryer. 375 degrees.
- Using 2 spoons dipped first in cold oil, pick up a tbs full of batter and push off of the spoon into oil. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Fry for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown. If hush puppies brown to quickly reduce the heat.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.