Spicy Mexican Corn Bread
- 1 and 1/3 cups of yellow cornmeal
- 1 and 1/3 cups of flour
- 3 tbs sugar 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 8 oz can of creamed corn
- 2 tbs baking drippings
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 6 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup pepper jack cheese, grated
- 2 tbs chopped green chilies, seeds removed and minced.
This is a Mexican version of corn bread that uses bacon, chilies and pepper jack cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs then add the buttermilk.
- Add dry ingredients except for the bacon. to the bowl and thoroughly mix well.
- Add the bacon drippings creamed corn, and 1/2cup of cheese and continue to mix.
- Pour batter into a greased cast iron skillet and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until to top turns golden brown.