|1 large head of cabbage|
|1 and 1/2 lbs of ground beef|
|1/2 cup of rice|
|1 small onion, grated|
|1 egg, beaten|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 8 oz can of tomato sauce|
|3 cups canned of tomatoes|
|1/4 cup fresh lemon juice|
These stuffed cabbage leaves are filled with ground beef and rice.
- Remove core from the cabbage and place the head in boiling salted water.
- Cover and cook until outer leaves are soft. About 5 minutes.
- Remove 12 large leaves from the cabbage, and trim off the part of each leaf.
- Reserve remaining cabbage for other uses.
- Combine the meat, rice, onion and egg. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal parts.
- Put a mound of meat mixture in the cup part of each leaf.
- Loosely fold sides over the meat and roll up.
- Add some tomato sauce to the bottom of a oven proof baking dish and add the cabbage packages atop.
- Pour over the canned tomatoes, lemon juice and tomato sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cover cabbage with foil and bake for 1 hour.