Trinidad Papaya Hot Pepper Sauce
- 1 small green papaya
- 8 cups water
- 5-8 Habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbs dried mustard
- kosher salt to taste
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp curry paste
This is a Trinidad hot sauce that uses green papayas as a base along with habanero peppers, onions, garlic and curry paste. This is some of the best hot sauce that we have ever tasted.
- Boil the papaya (in its skin) in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Remove the papaya from the water and let cool.
- Peel the papaya and remove the seeds, then chop papaya into 1 inch cubes.
- In a large sauce pan combine the papaya with the remaining ingredients.
- Brink to a boil, reduce heat, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Add to a blender or food processor and transfer to jars and place in a fridge until ready to use.