Banana Cream Pie
This is a southern favorite that is creamy and full of flavor. It is made with bananas with milk, eggs, cinnamon and butter.
- 2 bananas, thinly sliced and tossed with 1 and 1/2 tbs of lemon juice.
- 1 cup milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tbs flour
- 3 tbs butter cut into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream divided
- 1 pre baked 9 inch pie shell
- In a heavy sauce pan bring milk to almost boiling.
- Place the egg yolks in the mixing bowl of an electric mixer and on medium speed mix eggs and gradually add sugar.
- Beat in flour with mixer on low speed gradually add the hot milk.
- Transfer mixture to heavy sauce pan and heat over medium heat,stirring constantly.
- Let mixture come to a bowl and stir constantly for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and continue to beat until mixture is smooth.
- Beat in butter a little at a time then blend in the cinnamon.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and let mixture cool.
- Mean while pre bake the pastry shell in a 350 degree oven,using pie weights.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until slightly brown.
- Beat 1 cup of the cream until firm but not stiff.
- Mix about 1/2 cup of the whipped cream into the egg mixture to lighten it.
- Fold in the remaining whipped cream into egg mixture then fold in the sliced bananas.
- Transfer the filling to the pastry shell.
- Whip the remaining cream and spoon or pipe onto the pie.