Basque Oxtail Stew
- 3 lbs oxtails
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- kosher salt to taste
- 5 tbs flour
- olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 mild green chili peppers, chopped
- 4 carrots sliced
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 8 cups chicken stock
This recipe is much loved in the Basque region of Spain. Oxtails cook in wine with garlic and chilies are extra special.
- Flour and salt and pepper the oxtails.
- In a saute pan using medium high heat brown the oxtails.
- Once the oxtails are browned, remove them from the pan and add to a large sauce pan or stock pot and cover with 1/2 of the chicken stock
- In the first pan add the onions and garlic and saute until soft. About 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining flour,salt and pepper and stir.
- When the color has darkened add the wine and remaining stock.
- Whisk well until smooth.
- Add the sauce to the oxtails along with the green peppers and carrots.
- Cook on medium low for 2 hours.