Basque Oxtail Stew
|3 lbs oxtails|
|1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper|
|kosher salt to taste|
|5 tbs flour|
|4 garlic cloves|
|3 medium onions, chopped|
|3 mild green chili peppers, chopped|
|4 carrots sliced|
|2 cups dry red wine|
|8 cups chicken stock|
This recipe is much loved in the Basque region of Spain. Oxtails cook in wine with garlic and chilies are extra special.
- Flour and salt and pepper the oxtails.
- In a saute pan using medium high heat brown the oxtails.
- Once the oxtails are browned, remove them from the pan and add to a large sauce pan or stock pot and cover with 1/2 of the chicken stock
- In the first pan add the onions and garlic and saute until soft. About 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining flour,salt and pepper and stir.
- When the color has darkened add the wine and remaining stock.
- Whisk well until smooth.
- Add the sauce to the oxtails along with the green peppers and carrots.
- Cook on medium low for 2 hours.