Basque White Beans and Clams
|2 cups dried navy beans|
|1 small onion, minced|
|1 green bell pepper, minced|
|1 (8oz) bottle of clam juice|
|3 dozen small little neck clams, rinsed|
|2 tbs freshly chopped parsley|
This is a traditional recipe for the Basque region of Spain. Clams are in a savory broth along with white beans.
- Soak the beans overnight in a bowl of cold water.
- Drain and rinse the beans and transfer them to a oven proof casserole dish.
- Add 1 quart of water, onion and green pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the clam juice and cover partially and simmer for another 40 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Add the clams and cover the pan tightly and cook over moderate heat.
- There should be enough liquid to keep the beans moist.
- Discard any Un-opened clams.
- Spoon the beans and clams into warm bowls and garnish with parsley.