Bean and Bacon Soup with Fresh Greens
|1 lb dried black beans|
|3 quarts water or chicken stock|
|8 slices bacon diced|
|large hand full of collard greens or kale, cleaned and cut into pieces|
|3 cups chopped onions|
|2 cups diced potatoes|
|2 cups diced celery|
|1 cup sliced carrots|
|5 cups chicken stock|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 bay leaf|
This a hearty stick to your ribs soup with beans, bacon and vegetables. This is not the stuff that you find in a can.
- Combine beans and water in a stock pot.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour. Then drain
- Fry bacon until crisp. Remove from skillet and add to soup pot.
- Add the chicken stock. Add more stock if necessary
- Cook onions in bacon drippings until soft.
- Add to soup along with bacon drippings.
- Add greens to soup.
- Bring soup to a boil and simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes,
- Remove bay leaf and serve.