Bean and Bacon Soup with Fresh Greens
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 3 quarts water or chicken stock
- 8 slices bacon diced
- large hand full of collard greens or kale, cleaned and cut into pieces
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 5 cups chicken stock
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
This a hearty stick to your ribs soup with beans, bacon and vegetables. This is not the stuff that you find in a can.
- Combine beans and water in a stock pot.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour. Then drain
- Fry bacon until crisp. Remove from skillet and add to soup pot.
- Add the chicken stock. Add more stock if necessary
- Cook onions in bacon drippings until soft.
- Add to soup along with bacon drippings.
- Add greens to soup.
- Bring soup to a boil and simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes,
- Remove bay leaf and serve.