Cochinillo Asado- Roasted Suckling Pig
- 6 lbs suckling pig (can be ordered in advanced from a good butcher or online)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 carrots
- 1 Spanish onion
- 1 tbs thyme
- 1 tbs rosemary
- 1 tbs garlic powder
In order to be a suckling pig the pig must not be any older than 1 month old and weigh no more than 8 lbs. This recipe was perfected at “Botin“in Spain which happens to be the oldest restaurant in the World.
- Season pig with salt and pepper, rosemary, thyme and garlic powder on the inside and out.
- Wrap the ears in aluminium foil the prevent burning.
- Place the pig in a large roasting pan and baste with butter and olive oil inside and out.
- Place in the oven and roast, basting often with the pan drippings. About 2 to 3 hours or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Halfway through cooking add the carrots, potatoes and onion to the roasting pan and remove the foil from the ears.
- Remove the piglet from oven, check the meat and make sure the juices run clear, and the skin is crispy
- Place pig on a platter and serve.
- With each portion serve some of the crispy skin.
- The eyeballs and brains are especially good served atop crusty bread.