Cochinillo Asado- Roasted Suckling Pig
|6 lbs suckling pig (can be ordered in advanced from a good butcher or online)|
|1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1/2 cup unsalted butter|
|1 Spanish onion|
|1 tbs thyme|
|1 tbs rosemary|
|1 tbs garlic powder|
In order to be a suckling pig the pig must not be any older than 1 month old and weigh no more than 8 lbs. This recipe was perfected at “Botin“in Spain which happens to be the oldest restaurant in the World.
- Season pig with salt and pepper, rosemary, thyme and garlic powder on the inside and out.
- Wrap the ears in aluminium foil the prevent burning.
- Place the pig in a large roasting pan and baste with butter and olive oil inside and out.
- Place in the oven and roast, basting often with the pan drippings. About 2 to 3 hours or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Halfway through cooking add the carrots, potatoes and onion to the roasting pan and remove the foil from the ears.
- Remove the piglet from oven, check the meat and make sure the juices run clear, and the skin is crispy
- Place pig on a platter and serve.
- With each portion serve some of the crispy skin.
- The eyeballs and brains are especially good served atop crusty bread.