This coffee cake is accented by combining it with sweet cherry jam.
- 3/4 cup, plus 2 tbs margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- grated peel of 1 lemon
- 3 and 1/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 (16 oz) jar of cherry jam
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- powdered sugar
- Grease a (10 inch) spring form pan.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat margarine and granulated sugar until creamy.
- Stir in the egg and lemon peel.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together.
- Fold a few tbs into the mixture.
- Add the remaining flour mixture.
- With fingertips, work the mixture quickly into the crumbs.
- Place half the crumbs in prepared cake pan.
- Spread with cherry jam.
- Mix remaining crumbs with almonds and scatter over jam.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until the top is browned.
- Remove cake from pan and cool on rack.
- Sift powdered sugar over cooled cake.