Curried West Indian Chana
- 1 lb canned chick peas
- 1 tbs canola oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs hot curry powder
- 1 tbs ketchup
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 4 (9 inch) flour tortillas
- hot pepper sauce to taste
- 1 cup chick pea liquid
This recipe is curried chick peas, cooked with curry powder,onions garlic and pepper sauce. It can be found at many street side stalls in the Caribbean. In Trinidad they call it doubles, simply because it is so good that you want 2. Traditionally it it is served in a warm flat bread. Flour tortillas work very well.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas, retaining 1 cup of the liquid.
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan and add the onion and garlic and fry until softened.
- Add the curry powder and cook gently, stirring for 1 minute
- Add the drain chick peas and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients plus the reserved liquid and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- To serve place several tbs in a flour tortilla fold over to keep the mixture inside and eat.