French Butter Cream
|1 cup plus 2 tbs butter|
|generous pinch of salt|
|3/4 cup sugar|
|few drops of vanilla extract|
This is the classical recipe for French butter cream.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until pale and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs, salt and sugar in a medium bowl and set over a saucepan of hot water until quite warm.
- Remove the egg mixture from the heat and beat until cool.
- Gradually beat the cooled egg mixture into the butter using a wooden spoon
- Beat in a few drops of vanilla.
Variation: Chocolate Butter Cream:
- To make chocolate butter cream, stir 1/4 cup plus 1 tbs of sifted unsweetened cocoa powder and 3 tbs of powdered sugar into the butter cream.