Grilled Cheese with Brie Avocado & Bacon Jam
|4 slices of cibata or other rustic bread|
|1/4 cup mayonnaise|
|1/4 lb of brie cheese, sliced|
|1/8 lb of asiago, grated|
|1 avocado, sliced|
|4 slices of ripe tomato|
|2 tsp extra virgin olive oil|
|For the Bacon Jam:|
|1 and 1/2 lbs bacon sliced into 1 inch pieces|
|2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced|
|4 garlic cloves, crushed|
|1/2 cup apple cider vinegar|
|1/4 cup packed light brown sugar|
|1/2 cup maple syrup|
|3/4 cup strong black coffee|
|1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper|
This is a wonderful grilled sandwich with avocado, brie and asiago cheese and tomato. The added treat is a special savory and sweet bacon jam. Serves 2.
- Preheat a grill pan in an oven using 350 degree heat.
- Spread the mayonnaise on each side of the bread.
- Top one slice with sliced Brie and the other slice with the grated Asiago.
- Drizzle olive oil on grill pan or sheet pan, and place bread slices on top.
- Grill or toast until cheese melts.
- Place tomato slices with avocado slices on bread slices and press together to create the sandwich.
- Cut in half and serve.
- Cook bacon in a dutch oven over medium high heat.
- When bacon is browned, use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Drain all but 2 tbs of drippings from the pan.
- Place the dutch oven back on the burner and adjust the heat to medium.
- Stir in the onions and garlic and saute until onions are translucent. About 10 minutes.
- Stir in the bacon and remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the onions are soft and the liquid is thick and syrupy. About 30 or 40 minutes.
- If mixture becomes dry, add 1/4 cup water.
- Transfer the bacon and onions to a food processor and pulse several times or until the bacon jam is a spreadable consistency.
- Place jam in a jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Store in the refrigerator. Will keep for up to 1 month.