- 1 gallon of milk
- 1 quart of buttermilk
- kosher salt
Paneer is a very easy cheese to make. Most Indian households make it frequently. It is a staple in many curry dishes.
- Pour the milk into a large stock pot or sauce pan and bring to a boil. Do not let boil over.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the butter milk in a steady stream.
- The milk will start to separate into curd and whey or (water).
- Place cheese cloth in a colander and pour the mixture through, reserving some of the whey.
- Gather the cheese cloth and squeeze some of the liquid from the cheese.
- Return to the colander and let set for several hours.
- Place the cheese on a smooth surface and roll into a tight ball.
- If desired sprinkle the cheese ball lightly with kosher salt.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and use as needed.