Chili Rubbed Salmon with Cilantro Avocado Salsa
- 4 medium tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 and 1/2 tbs fresh lime juice
- 1 ripe avocado, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 and 1/2 tbs chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 6 oz salmon fillets
This salmon is seasoned with chili powder, cumin and brown sugar and cooled down with a refreshing cilantro avocado salsa, with tomatillos.
- Place tomatillos in a sauce pan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove tomatillos and when cool enough to handle, roughly chop.
- Combine the tomatillos, onion, cilantro and lime juice.
- Gently fold in the avocado and jalapeno.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the chili powder, cumin sugar and salt.
- Sprinkle the fish with the spice mix.
- Heat a large oven proof skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the salmon rub side down for 2 minutes then flip and place pan in the oven for about 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Transfer the fish fillets to plates and top with the salsa.