Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons
|5 egg whites|
|2 cups powdered sugar, sifted|
|2 cups ground almonds|
|2 and 2/3 cups shredded coconut|
|grated peel form 1/2 lemon|
|1 and 1/2 tbs rum|
|4 oz semisweet chocolate|
|Additional powdered sugar, sifted|
These are delicious Macaroon cookies that are made with coconut and dipped in chocolate.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl until stiff.
- Fold in half the powdered sugar and ground almonds.
- Add coconut, remaining powdered, sugar, grated lemon and rum.
- Work into a sticky dough.
- Put mixture in a pastry bag fitted with a large plain nozzle.
- Pipe walnut sized drops onto the parchment paper.
- Sprinkle macaroons with powdered sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Macaroons should have a golden crust on the outside but remain soft inside.
- Cool on a rack.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler over low heat.
- Dip cooled macaroons in melted chocolate to coat about 1/3 of each one.
- Let chocolate set before serving.