Indian Palak Paneer
- 6 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs fresh ginger, grated
- 2 dried red chili peppers
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 lbs fresh spinach, torn
- 1 large tomato,quartered
- 2 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 lb paneer cheese or ricotta
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
This a staple dish in Indian cooking. It combines fresh spinach in a creamy curry sauce along with Paneer cheese. If you cannot fine Paneer you may use ricotta. It is great served with Basmati rice and naan bread.
- In a large sauce pan heat 3 tbs of olive oil.
- Saute garlic, 1/2 tbs ginger, onions and chilies for several minutes.
- Mix in the cumin, coriander, turmeric and sour cream.
- Add the spinach in handfuls, add more as spinach cooks down.
- Cook for about 15 minutes then remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour mixture into a blender or food processor and add the tomato and the remaining 1/ tbs of ginger and cilantro and blend until almost smooth.
- Pour the spinach mixture back into the sauce pan.Keep warm over low heat.
- In a sauce pan heat 3 tbs olive over medium heat and fry cheese until browned.
- Drain and add to spinach, and mix well.
- Cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice.