|1 envelope of active dry yeast|
|1 cup lukewarm water (95-110 degrees)|
|2 tbs vegetable oil|
|1 tbs sugar|
|1/2 tsp salt|
|1 tsp honey|
|2 large egg whites|
|3 and 1/4 cups bread flour (high gluten)|
|1 tbs water|
|Coarse salt and caraway seeds for sprinkling|
Kimmelweck rolls are basically hard rolls that are sprinkled caraway seeds and coarse salt. They are wonderful to make roast beef sandwiches.
- Sprinkle the yeast over 1/4 cup of the lukewarm water in a small bowl..
- Set aside to proof for about 5 minutes to proof, until bubbly.
- Combine the remaining 3/4 cup of lukewarm water, the oil, sugar, salt and honey and 1 egg white in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cups of the flour and mix until smooth.
- Add the yeast solution and slowly stir in an additional 1 and 1/2 cups of flour.
- Bring the dough together and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead the dough for 5 to 7 minutes,until smooth and elastic, but still tacky to the touch.Add only enough flour to keep dough from sticking.
- Transfer to a large greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set a side for about 1 hour until doubled.
- Punch the dough down, cover the bowl again and let the dough rise a second time. About 30 minutes.
- Return the dough to the work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a smooth round, then flatten the rounds slightly.
- Place the rolls on a parchment lined baking sheet, well spaced to allow for spreading.
- Cover loosely with a towel and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine the remaining egg white with 1 tbs of water and blend well.
- Brush the rolls lightly with the egg white wash.
- Using the tip of a sharp knife or razor, cut 4 crescent-shaped slits into each roll, radiating out from the center.
- Sprinkle the rolls with caraway and coarse salt and spritz with water.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then quickly open the oven door and spritz the rolls again with water and close the door.
- Bake the rolls for about 20 minutes more until browned and crisp.
- Cool rolls on wire racks.