Pumpkin Muffins with Honey Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup solid pack pumpkin
- 1 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, at room temperature, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup low fat butter milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Frosting is optional on these muffins. Without it, they are ideal for breakfast, with frosting they become a sweet snack.
- In a large bowl, stir together four, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in walnuts.
- In a separate bowl, blend pumpkin, honey oil, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour pumpkin mixture over dry ingredients.
- Stir just until mixed.
- Spoon batter into paper lined muffin cups, filling each to just below the rim.
- Bake at 35o degrees for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of muffins comes out clean.
- Let pan cool on rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove muffins from pan and let cool on rack completely.
- frost with cream cheese frosting if desired.
- For the cream cheese frosting: In a small bowl with an electric mixture, beat 8 oz of cream cheese 9 softened at room temperature) with 1/3 cup of honey until fluffy.