Pumpkin Muffins with Honey Cream Cheese Frosting
|2 cups all purpose flour|
|1 and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon|
|1 tsp baking soda|
|1/2 tsp salt|
|1/2 cup chopped walnuts|
|1 cup solid pack pumpkin|
|1 cup honey|
|1/4 cup canola oil|
|2 eggs, at room temperature, slightly beaten|
|1/4 cup low fat butter milk|
|1 tsp vanilla extract|
Frosting is optional on these muffins. Without it, they are ideal for breakfast, with frosting they become a sweet snack.
- In a large bowl, stir together four, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in walnuts.
- In a separate bowl, blend pumpkin, honey oil, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour pumpkin mixture over dry ingredients.
- Stir just until mixed.
- Spoon batter into paper lined muffin cups, filling each to just below the rim.
- Bake at 35o degrees for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of muffins comes out clean.
- Let pan cool on rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove muffins from pan and let cool on rack completely.
- frost with cream cheese frosting if desired.
- For the cream cheese frosting: In a small bowl with an electric mixture, beat 8 oz of cream cheese 9 softened at room temperature) with 1/3 cup of honey until fluffy.