Uni Crostini (sea urchin)
- 1 tbs honey
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 French baguette, sliced in 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbs Aji paste
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb sea urchin
If you have never tried sea urchin you are missing the boat. It is almost indescribably delicious. You can find fresh sea urchin (Uni) at any Asian Market. This recipe also uses Aji Amarillo paste which can be found at most Latin and Asian markets. You will be greatly rewarded by a few extra trips to the store.
- For the Crostini, brush the slices of baguette with the olive oil and toast a 350 degree oven until lightly crisp.
- For the compote, in a small sauce pan, boil enough water to cover the tomatoes. Blanch for 20 seconds then remove from oil and run the under cold water to stop the cooking.
- Peel the tomatoes and remove the skin.
- Slice them and remove the seeds, then put on a flat tray.
- Drizzle the tomatoes with 1 tbs honey and 1 tbs olive oil.
- place the tomatoes in a 350 degree oven and roast them for 15 minutes.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven and them to a bowl and add 1 tbs balsamic vinegar.
- Crush the tomatoes well.
- For the Aji vinaigrette mix together honey aji paste, lime juice and olive oil.
- Spread the tomato compote on the baguette slices.
- Top with a piece of uni and dress with the aji honey vinaigrette.