Vanilla Pastry Cream
- 1 and 1/2 cups half and half
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
This pastry cream is perfect for filling donuts, eclairs or cream puffs.
- Heat the milk in a sauce pan over medium high heat until warm.
- Set aside until it is cool enough to touch, but still warm
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until smooth and thick.
- Whisk in the flour and salt.
- Slowly pour in the warm milk while whisking the egg and sugar mixture constantly.
- Transfer the mixture back to the sauce pan.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly so the bottom doesn’t scorch.
- It will quickly start to thicken to the consistency of pudding.
- When large bubbles start to pot through the liquid the pastry cream is nearly done.
- Continue stirring for 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Set a strainer over a clean bowl and strain the pastry cream to get out any lumps.
- Press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the pastry cream and refrigerate until ready to use.