- 5 beef bones, with marrow
- 1 lb of scrap beef, trimmed of fat
- 6 scallions
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/4 lb of fresh ginger
- 1 leek, halved
- 1/4 lb of Chinese white radish
- 5 peppercorns
This is a deeply flavored stock with a hint of Asian flavor. It is very versatile and can be used to fortify soups and stews.
- Soak the beef bones and meat in cold water for several hours.
- Add the bones, meat and the water to a stock pot.
- You should have about 4 to 5 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and immediately drain off the water and rinse the bones,
- Pour about 11 cups of fresh water in the stock pot and add the bones along with garlic, scallions, leek, ginger and pepper corns.
- Bring the stock to a boil, and cook over high heat until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Top off the pan with an equivalent amount of water, and allow the liquid to reduce again.
- Repeat 1 more time until you have just 4 cups of stock remaining in the pan.
- Strain the stock through a wire mesh strainer lined with cheese cloth.
- Stock may be frozen for future use.