Braised Spicy Tofu
|1 block of firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|1 cup of seafood stock or clam juice|
|3 tbs soy sauce|
|1 sheet of dry kelp (available at Asian markets)|
|1 tbs honey|
|1 garlic clove, chopped|
|1 green chili, seeded and chopped|
|1/2 white onion, minced|
|1 red chili, seeded and chopped|
|1 tbs hot chili powder|
|1 tsp sesame seeds, for garnish|
The sauce for this tofu dish is sweet, salty, nutty and spicy and makes the tofu a flavor sensation.
- Cut tofu into 1/2 inch cubes and place in a pan.
- Add 1 cup of cold water and the fish stock or clam juice, soy sauce and kelp.
- Stir in the honey and garlic, then bring to a boil.
- Cover and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, chilies and chili powder.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for another 10 minutes, until the liquid has reduced by more than half.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with sesame seeds.