Chicken Vegetable Bean Soup
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cubed
- 6 cups water or chicken broth
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (28 oz) can of Italian style tomatoes, cut up with juice
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of liquid
This soup is packed with chicken hearty vegetables and beans in a savory broth.
- In a large sauce pan or dutch oven coated with a little oil, saute the onions, garlic, carrots and celery over medium high heat until the vegetables begin to soften. About 5 minutes.
- Stir in water or stock and bouillon cubes, tomatoes, beans, barley and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.