Fish Cakes with Thai Salsa
- 2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cups sliced scallions, divided
- 1 tbs fresh ginger,grated
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 lbs cooked salmon or halibut,flaked
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup mayonnase
- 2 tbs butter
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Salad greens for serving (optional)
To cook fish for this recipe, place the fish in a micro-wave safe dish. Cover and cook on high for 7 to 9 minutes, turning once until fish flakes easily.
- In a skillet, combine tomatoes with liquid, 1/2 cup onions, ginger and red pepper flakes.
- Cook uncovered, over high heat until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Add cilantro, cool and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine fish, eggs, bread crumbs, mayonnaise, remaining scallions and 1/3 cup of the salsa mixture.
- Season with pepper.
- Form mixture into 16 patties.
- In a saute pan, melt butter over medium low heat and cook patties for about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Serve over greens if desired.
- Top with remaining salsa.