Poached Pears with Flower Peppers
|2 firm pears, peeled, cored and cut into 6 pieces|
|20 flower(Szechuan) peppercorns|
|1/4 oz of fresh ginger|
|2 tbs sugar|
|pine nuts for garnish, optional|
This is a wonderful dessert that is a super refreshing end to any meal. Pears are poached in a ginger and peppercorn infused liquid.
- Peel and core the pears, and cut each one into 6 pieces.
- Press two or three peppercorns into the smooth outer surface of each piece.
- Place 3 cups of water into a sauce pan and add the ginger.
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar, then the pears.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the pears have softened.
- Transfer the fruit and liquid to a bowl.
- Cool and removed sliced ginger and place bowl in the refrigerator to cool.
- Place 3 pieces of pear in a bowl for each person.
- Pour over some of the poaching liquid and garnish with some pine nuts.