Stuffed Apricot French Toast
|1/2 lb package of cream cheese softened|
|1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, divided|
|1/2 cups walnuts, finely chopped|
|1 loaf of french bread|
|1 cup heavy cream|
|1/2 tsp ground nutmeg|
|1 (12 oz) jar of apricot preserves|
|1/2 cup orange juice|
This is a breakfast favorite made with cream cheese, vanilla, apricot preserves and walnuts.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and 1 tsp vanilla until fluffy.
- Stir in the nuts and set aside.
- Cut bread into 1 and 1/2 inch slices.
- Cut a pocket in the top of each slice.
- Fill each pocket with about 2 tbs of cream cheese mixture.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, cream, nutmeg and remaining vanilla.
- Dip both sides of the bread into the egg mixture, being careful not to squeeze out the filling.
- Cook on a lightly greased griddle or saute pan until golden brown on each side.
- Then place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine preserves and orange juice in a small sauce pan and heat through.
- Drizzle over french toast.