Buttermilk Parmesan Potatoes
|14 small potatoes, peeled and cubed ( we like Yukon Gold)|
|1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided|
|1 tbs butter|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1/4 cup minced red onion|
|3 tbs butter|
|1/2 cup flour|
|1 tsp each of kosher salt and fresh cracked|
|1 cup milk|
|1 cup buttermilk|
This is a delicious side dish that is perfect for a family or holiday gathering.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a (9×13) baking dish.
- Arrange the potatoes over the bottom of the dish and set aside.
- Melt 1 tbs of butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook stirring occasionally until onion is translucent. About 5 minutes.
- Stir in 3 tbs of butter and melt.
- Sprinkle flour and salt and pepper and cook mixture, stirring constantly until flour is light brown, about 2 minutes.
- Continue to stir the flour mixture while gradually pouring in the milk and butter milk.
- Return mixture to boiling.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and cook for 2 minutes until melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the potatoes in the baking dish, stirring to coat evenly.
- Bake for 1/2 hour and stir.
- Bake for another 1/2 hour longer and stir in remaining Parmesan and bake for 20 minutes more or until top is bubbly and golden.