Creamy Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes
|8 large Yucon gold potatoes peeled and quartered|
|1 stick of unsalted butter softened|
|1/2 cup of half and half room temperature|
|1 large dollop of sour cream|
|Kosher salt and white pepper to taste|
This is a easy recipe that will guarantee you mouth watering results if you follow a few simple rules.
- Peel potatoes and add the to a pot of cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain water from the potatoes and return them to the pan.
- Place pan over low heat moving potatoes around to evaporate any water they may have absorbed.
- Put potatoes in a large bowl and add the butter and sour cream and mash with a potato masher.
- Slowly add the cream as you are mashing. Make sure you don’t add too much cream or the potatoes will become soupy.
- Season to taste with kosher salt and white pepper.
- Keep warm in a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water until you are ready to serve.
- If you use a potato masher there will be some lumps in the potatoes. Some prefer them this way. However if you like smooth mashed potatoes, use a potato ricer.