|24 medium oysters in the shell|
|Rock salt for baking|
|3/4 cup butter|
|1/4 cup onion, minced|
|1/4 cup celery, minced|
|1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped|
|1 clove garlic, minced|
|1/2 cup dry bread crumbs|
|1/4 cup watercress, packed, minced, no stems|
|1/2 cup spinach, finely chopped, no stems|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|lemon wedges for serving|
This is a classic version oysters Rockefeller recipe served directly in the shells.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- On a baking sheet lay a (1/2 inch) layer of rock salt.
- Sprinkle the salt lightly with water to dampen.
- Place in the preheated oven while preparing the oysters.
- Shuck the oysters and drain reserving as much liquid as possible.
- Place the shucked oysters in the deep side of the shells and place atop the salt.
- In a saute pan add 1/4 cup butter and using medium heat saute the onion, parsley, celery and garlic until tender. About 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the butter and bread crumbs and stir until the butter is melted.
- Add the chopped watercress and spinach.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread each oyster with about 1 tbs of the vegetable mixture making sure to cover the oysters completely.
- Bake for about 10 minutes. Take care not to over bake.
- Remove oysters and serve on plates with lemon wedges.