- 2 cups flour
- 5 tbs sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 pints fresh ripe strawberries
- 1 cup heavy cream
This is a long lost recipe for authentic moist strawberry short with a creamy topping and fresh strawberries. Be sure to follow instructions exactly as written.
- Combine flour, 2 tbs sugar, baking powder and salt.
- With a fork or pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- Using a fork stir in milk until just blended.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface and knead 10 times.
- Dough will be crumbly.
- pat dough evenly into greased and lightly floured (8 inch) round cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven until lightly golden. About 15 minutes.
- Cool shortcake for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- Hull and slice strawberries, reserving several whole berries for garnish.
- Toss sliced berries with 2 tbs of sugar and set aside.
- Cut cooled shortcake in half horizontally. Beat Cream and remaining 1 tbs of sugar until soft peaks form.
- Place bottom layer of shortcake on a serving platter, cut side up.
- Drizzle juice from berries over surface.
- Spread with half of the whipped cream.
- Arrange berries over the cream.
- Place top shortcake layer over berries and spoon remaining whipped cream artfully over center of cake.
- Garnish with reserved whole strawberries.
- Slice and serve.