Crab Custard Casserole
- 1 lb of jumbo lump crab meat
- 2 tbs melted butter
- 4 slices of good quality white bread, crusts removed
- 1 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 tbs minced parsley
- 3 cups half and half
- 4 eggs well beaten
- dash of kosher salt
- dash of white pepper
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
This is home cooking at it’s best. Jumbo lump crab meat is married with white cheddar in a creamy casserole.
- Pick over crab meat and remove and shell or cartilage.
- Melt butter and pour into a medium baking dish.
- Cut crusts from bread and place bread in a single layer in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Arrange crab meat over top of bread and sprinkle with cheese, onion and parsley.
- In a bowl combine the half and half, eggs, Worcestershire sauce and white pepper and pour over the crab casserole.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Add casserole to a larger baking pan with 1 inch of water and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.