Creole Shrimp Stew
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 1 lb of medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes with juice, chopped
- 1 16 oz can cream style corn
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbs chopped parsley
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
This a delicious spicy shrimp stew.
- Heat oil in a large pot and gradually stir in the flour.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until chocolate brown in color. (this is the roux)
- Add the onions, garlic and celery and cook until soft.
- Pour tomatoes, corn and water into pot.
- Add bay leaf and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer at least 1 hour, adding water if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Add the shrimp and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice.