Indian Garam Masala
- 1 tbs of ground black pepper
- 1 tbs of ground cloves
- 1 tbs ground chilies
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 1 tbs coriander
- 1 tbs cumin ground cumin seeds
- 1 tbs cardamom
- 1 tbs dried fennel seeds
- 1 tbs mace
- 1 tbs of nutmeg
Garam Masala is probably the most popular Indian spice. In India it is made with as many as 15 different spices. It can be easily made at home. Make it in small batches to guarantee freshness. It is best when the whole spices are toasted for several minutes in a dry frying pan, then grind-ed in a mortar or spice grinder.
- Toast whole spices in a dry frying pan for several minutes or until they begin to slightly smoke.
- Remove from pan and add to a spice grinder or mortar and grind thoroughly.
- Mix well and store in a sealed jar.
- Sprinkle over meat or vegetables toward the middle to end of cooking.
- Recipe may be doubled.