Poached Oysters in Ravigote Sauce
|2 pints of select oysters|
|1 head of butter lettuce|
|Poaching liquid (court bouillon):|
|2 cups white wine|
|liquor from 2 pints of oysters|
|1 small onion, chopped into quarters|
|herb package. In cheese cloth add thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, rosemary and black peppercorns. Tie the package together with string and add the the liquid.|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|1 tbs white wine vinegar|
|1 tbs Dijon mustard|
|1 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|2 tbs capers|
|2 tbs minced parsley|
|pinch of chervil or other herb of choice|
|2 tbs chopped chives|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
This is a delicate appetizer with lightly poached oysters and a savory sauce.
- In a sauce pan, add the ingredients for the poaching liquid.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the simmering liquid from the stove and add the oysters. Allow to cool.
- To prepare the sauce combine the vinegar and mustard.
- Add the oil in a gradual thin stream while whisking constantly.
- Add the capers, parsley, and chives.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Stir in about 4 tbs of the sauce to the oysters and poaching liquid.
- To serve add several oysters to butter lettuce cups and drizzle with a little sauce.