Veal Cooked in Red Wine
|2 lbs of stewing veal, trimmed of fat and cut into 2 inch pieces|
|1 lb of onions, cut into quarters|
|6 large cloves garlic, cut into slices|
|1 carrot, cut into 1 inch chunks|
|1 rib of celery, cut into 1 inch chunks|
|2 bay leaves|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1/4 cup olive oil|
|1 bottle of dry red wine|
This is a low and slow cooked veal dish. It is classic Italian comfort food.
- Trim veal of excess fat and cut into 1 inch chunks.
- In a stock pot add the olive oil using medium high heat.
- Add the onions, celery and carrots and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and bay leaves and saute for another minute.
- Add the veal pieces and brown, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the wine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover partially.
- Cook over low heat for 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours until sauce has reduced and meat is tender.
- Serve with rice or pasta.