Veal Cooked in Red Wine
- 2 lbs of stewing veal, trimmed of fat and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 lb of onions, cut into quarters
- 6 large cloves garlic, cut into slices
- 1 carrot, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 rib of celery, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bottle of dry red wine
This is a low and slow cooked veal dish. It is classic Italian comfort food.
- Trim veal of excess fat and cut into 1 inch chunks.
- In a stock pot add the olive oil using medium high heat.
- Add the onions, celery and carrots and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and bay leaves and saute for another minute.
- Add the veal pieces and brown, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the wine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover partially.
- Cook over low heat for 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours until sauce has reduced and meat is tender.
- Serve with rice or pasta.