- 1 (4 lb) chicken cut into pieces
- 2 tsp thyme
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 5 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup lean salt pork
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (14 oz) can of tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup cured ripe olives
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
This is a whole chicken prepared in a deep delicious home style sauce.
- Season chicken pieces with thyme, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot.
- Add salt pork and chicken.
- Saute for 15 minutes, browning chicken pieces on all sides.
- Remove pork and chicken from pot, discarding pork.
- Add onions to stock pot and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more oil if necessary.
- Add chicken, garlic tomatoes, bay leaves and red wine. Mix well.
- Simmer uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes, basting chicken frequently.
- Prior to serving, remove bay leaves and garlic.
- Add olives and sprinkle with parsley.