|1 (4 lb) chicken cut into pieces|
|2 tsp thyme|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|5 tbs olive oil|
|1/2 cup lean salt pork|
|3 onions, chopped|
|2 cloves garlic|
|1 (14 oz) can of tomatoes|
|2 bay leaves|
|1/2 cup dry red wine|
|1/2 cup cured ripe olives|
|1/2 cup chopped parsley|
This is a whole chicken prepared in a deep delicious home style sauce.
- Season chicken pieces with thyme, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot.
- Add salt pork and chicken.
- Saute for 15 minutes, browning chicken pieces on all sides.
- Remove pork and chicken from pot, discarding pork.
- Add onions to stock pot and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more oil if necessary.
- Add chicken, garlic tomatoes, bay leaves and red wine. Mix well.
- Simmer uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes, basting chicken frequently.
- Prior to serving, remove bay leaves and garlic.
- Add olives and sprinkle with parsley.